1. Foundations!! Even 2. One for everyday and one for this special days that you want a special foundation that makes the skin look doll-like which is not necessary for everyday. I have about 7 different kinds that I love equally. Foundation is essential. If not anything else, foundation should be the one and only. And really, no other makeup should be applied without the presence of foundation. The reason why I recommend it so much is because it evens out the skin tone and hides flaws, and gives an overall radiant, clean and groomed look to the face. I always say, not wearing foundation is the equivalent to just rolling out of bed and stepping out into the world.
2. Highlighter. A subtle to medium glow. This is the product buffed into the top of the cheeks, top of nose, top line of upper lip and even over the browbone and eyes. Gives a glow and radiance that I can't live without.
3. Mascara!!! And a mascara Primer with!! I did a YouTube video on this subject. Check it out on www.hottofftheheels.com under "Videos". I explain everything!!
4. Eyeliner. Both kinds preferably. Pencil and liquid. I use pencil in my waterline (inside eye, top lid waterline) and also a bit on the bottom that I quickly smudge for a simple smoky look. And liquid of course for winged eye looks or a more defined, sexy eye. Eyeliner rounds up the eyeshadow and mascara and marries them together.
5. Eyeshadow Palette. Choose a palette that's well rounded for everyday looks but can also be transformed into evening looks. Like a great neutral palette that has a couple darker shades in it. And make sure it's matte shades and shimmers. Not just shimmers.
6. Brow filler. Either gel or pencil, it's essential to fill in a bit of brows where they look sparse or unshapely.
7. Setting Powder. Dust over your foundation. This is to prevent foundation creasing and fading, and also controls shine. Sets it all in place. This is used immediately after foundation and concealer and never apply anything wet or creamy over it as it will result in a paste. This is one of the last steps in the face application.
8. Setting spray. For those days you don't want to check up on your makeup and want to make sure it's all in place. It's basically the hairspray for the face.
9. Matte bronzer. To add some Contour to the face. Usually applied on the bottom of cheekbones, around the scalp line, under tip of nose and at jawline. Adds dimension and shape to face. (Side note, sometimes a Contour kit is best as it will already include bronzer, Highlighter, blush all in one item)
10. Last but most certainly not least, Lipstick. All sorts of lipsticks. Mattes, glosses, nudes and bolds. Don't ask me to choose between those, because I just can't!! Lol